Gorgeous and colourful Vinegret is a Ukrainian beet salad made with cooked root vegetables, dill, pickles and olive oil vinegar dressing. It’s full of gut-friendly resistance starch and vitamins. Serve as a side or as a main.
- 2 large raw beetroots/beets, peeled
- 2 large white potatoes, peeled
- 2 medium carrots, washed, not need to peel
- 3 large dill pickled gherkins, finely diced
- 1–2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 medium Spanish onion, finely diced
- 1 cup fresh or frozen green peas (also totally fine in moderation)
For the dressing
- 3–4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Bring a large saucepan of water to boil and cook the beets, potatoes, and carrot for 20-30 minutes, remove carrots at a 20 minute mark as it takes less time to cook. Rinse all under cold water and leave to cool for at least an hour (this can be done ahead of time).
- Combine the gherkins, dill and onion in a large salad bowl with the dressing ingredients and set aside.
- Bring a small saucepan of water to boil and cook the peas for 30 seconds to a minute. Drain and rinse under cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Once cooled down, dice the potatoes, beetroot and carrot into small cubes. Combine with the rest of ingredients and the dressing in the bowl. Serve on its own or as side dish with meat, chicken or fish.