Gorgeous and colourful Vinegret is a Ukrainian beet salad made with cooked root vegetables, dill, pickles and olive oil vinegar dressing. It’s full of gut-friendly resistance starch and vitamins. Serve as a side or as a main.
- 2 large raw beetroots/beets
- 2 large white potatoes
- 2 medium carrots
- 3 large dill pickled cucumbers (gherkins), finely diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 medium Spanish/red onion, finely diced
- 1 cup fresh or frozen green peas
For the dressing
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Bring a large saucepan of water to boil and cook the beets, potatoes, and carrots for 20-30 minutes. Remove carrots at a 20-minute mark as they take less time to cook.
- Rinse all cooked vegetables under cold water and leave them to cool for at least an hour (this can be done ahead of time). Then peel off the skin (suggest wearing gloves when doing the beets or peel under running tap water).
- Combine the gherkins, dill and onion in a large salad bowl with the dressing ingredients and set aside.
- Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil and cook the peas for 1 minute. Drain and rinse under cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Once cooled down, dice the potatoes, beetroot and carrot into small cubes. Combine with the rest of the ingredients and the dressing in the bowl. Serve on its own or as a side dish with meat, chicken or fish.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 325
- Sugar: 10.1 g
- Sodium: 1287.9 mg
- Fat: 14.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 44.4 g
- Fiber: 9.1 g
- Protein: 6.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Beets, Beetroot, Potatoes, Carrots, Salad Recipes, Ukrainian Recipes, Gluten-Free, Whole30, Vegan