This warm chicken avocado salad is satiating and delicious. It’s rich in protein and healthy fats and is paleo, Whole30, gluten-free friendly. You can make the chicken ahead of time as part of your meal prep.
For the chicken
- 250 g / 8 oz chicken breast (about 1 + 1/2 chicken breasts ) sliced into strips
- 1 tablespoon mixed Moroccan spices blend or Ras El Hanout (see notes below)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or olive oil for cooking
For the salad
- 1 avocado, halved and sliced
- 2 cups mixed salad leaves of choice
- 12–14 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 red bell pepper/capsicum, sliced
- 1/2 Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- A handful of fresh parsley or coriander, roughly chopped
For the chicken salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Generous pinch of salt and pepper
- ½ teaspoon honey (optional, omit for Whole30)
- Sprinkle the chicken slices with the Moroccan spices and salt and rub in with your hands.
- Heat coconut oil (or olive oil) in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the chicken slices and cook for 4-5minutes on each side, until golden brown. Remove and rest for a few minutes.
- Prepare the salad ingredients and whisk together the salad dressing. Toss the salad (except for avocado) with the dressing and divide between two bowls. Top with a few slices of chicken each and sliced avocado.
I often buy a premade Moroccan spice or Ras El Hanout blend but you could also use a combination of the following spices: cumin powder, paprika, turmeric, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and dried oregano.