- 1 large eggplants (aubergines), cut into quarters going lengthways
- 3–4 tablespoons olive oil or coconut oil
For the sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil (or 2 tbsp virgin olive oil )
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- Pinch of red chill flakes
- 1 tablespoon fermented miso paste
- Handful of chopped green onion
- Preheat oven to 190°C (374°F).
- Brush the eggplants with olive or coconut oil and roast in a baking tray for 20 minutes. Turn them over and roast for a further 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, sauté onion in olive oil over medium heat for 7-10 minutes, until soft and translucent. Add garlic, tomato pate, chilli and water. Stir and cook for 8-10 minutes until thickened. Turn the heat off, add the miso paste and stir through until well incorporated.
- Spoon the sauce over roasted eggplant and garnish with chopped spring onion.