Immune-boosting, kids-approved chicken meatball soup that takes them on a make-your-own-meal adventure. This recipe uses nourishing ingredients like bone broth, chicken, spinach, and carrots.
500g / 1 lb ground chicken mince
½ cup almond meal/flour (50–60 g)
1/3 cup finely grated parmesan cheese (about 30 g, see notes for dairy-free below)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 teaspoons finely grated ginger
¼ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
½ teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
For the Soup
8 cups chicken broth (see notes)
2 medium carrots, cut into half-moons
1 cup frozen sweet corn
2 cups baby spinach leaves
¼ cup parsley leaves
2 cups cooked spaghetti or noodles (see notes)
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C/ 395 F.
- To make the meatballs, line a baking tray with baking paper. Combine the chicken, almond meal, cheese, olive oil, garlic, ginger, parsley, salt and egg in a large bowl and mix with your hands until well combined. With wet hands, roll into 2cm balls, and place them on the prepared tray. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, turning halfway
- Meanwhile, heat the chicken broth over medium-high heat until it boils. Turn the heat to low and maintain a gentle simmer while preparing the other ingredients.
- Steam the carrots and corn until just cooked. Set aside in separate bowls.
- To serve, place the noodles in the bottom of each bowl, add the vegetables, then the meatballs and pour over the broth. Or, serve some ingredients in the bowl and others on the table for your kids to construct their own chicken soups. Some kiddies might prefer to have meatballs and veggies with a cup of broth on the side. Very little ones might need some help to pour the hot broth into their bowls.
Broth: This recipe is best using a homemade chicken broth, that has been simmered with onions, carrots and celery – but you can also use store-bought chicken stock.
Dietary modifications: For a grain-free version, replace the pasta with zucchini noodles or konjac noodles. For gluten-free, use soba noodles. For dairy-free, replace grated parmesan cheese with 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes for that slightly cheesy flavour or leave out.
Prep in advance: This can be made several days in advance. Keep the meatballs separate from the broth when storing.
- Serving Size: 2 cups broth with 3 meatballs, 1/2 cup spaghetti and veggies
- Calories: 425
- Sugar: 5.2 g
- Sodium: 1940.3 mg
- Fat: 19.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 31.4 g
- Protein: 32.1 g
- Cholesterol: 132.4 mg