These jaffa-inspired chocolate rum balls are easy to make treats that are great for Christmas and any other time of the year. These are gluten-free, vegan, paleo-ish and raw.
- 1 cup almond meal (or other ground nuts)
- 30 ml /1 fl oz dark rum (about a shot glass)
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 cup sultanas or raisins
- Zest of 2 oranges (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut (unsweetened)
- Extra cocoa and desiccated coconut for dusting
- Place all ingredients in a food processor. Process into a thick, doughy mixture. It should be coming off the sides and sticking together.
- Roll into small balls using your hands. Note that your hands will be oily from coconut oil inside, which makes it very easy to roll the balls without the mixture sticking to your fingers — no need to wet your hands.
- Dust the finished balls with some desiccated coconut and extra cocoa powder. Place on a plate and refrigerate, covered with cling wrap.
- Store in an air-tight container in a cool place, refrigerator if possible, before serving. These should keep for a week, if not a little longer.
Raw cacao or cocoa powder can be used. Ground up seeds could be used instead of almond meal. You could also add some flaxseed or chia seeds to the mix.
Rum can be omitted and replaced with 30ml orange juice.