If you’re like me and enjoy having eggs are your breakfast staple, you would know that it’s important to keep those egg dishes varied and creative. There is nothing wrong with the plain fried egg, but let’s face it, it can get a little boring. That’s why I like to improvise with fun omelettes, frittatas and egg scrambles.
This curry spiced egg scramble recipe is a delicious and slightly more exotic take on the regular scrambled eggs. It takes around 10 minutes to make, making it a quick and easy breakfast meal.
As well as using common mild curry spice, which is rich in anti-inflammatory turmeric, I like to fry up some sweet red onions and a little garlic for extra flavour and nutrients. Both garlic and onion are rich in sulfur, which has many health benefits and is needed for multiple syntheses in the body. In addition, baby spinach also provides a lot of vitamins, minerals and fibre to this dish.
This recipe is designed for one generous serving but you can easily add more eggs and a little more curry spice and turn it into a meal for two; or, simply multiply the ingredients to make a larger batch for the family. The curry spice adds delicious flavour and aroma but not that much heat, so it’s not actually spicy.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 medium red onion, halved and sliced thinly
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 medium eggs
- 1 clove garlic, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon mild curry powder
- 1 tightly packed cup of baby spinach leaves
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- A few thin slices of chilli or chilli flakes for garnish, optional
- Heat coconut oil in a medium frying pan over medium-high heat. While the pan is heating up, prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Add the onion and salt and cook for 4 minutes, stirring a couple of times, until golden brown and soft. In the meantime, whisk the eggs on a bowl.
- Add the garlic and curry powder to the onions and stir through. Pour in the eggs and gently stir continuously for about 30 seconds, until the eggs are just cooked through but still glossy. Use the spatula to scrape the cooked egg from the bottom of the pan and fold it into the rest of the mix.
- Add the baby spinach leave to a serving bowl and drizzle with lemon juice. Top with the scrambled eggs and some chilli or other herbs of choice on top.