- 2–3 endives, leaves separated and inner core cut into quarters
- 1 large naval orange, peeled and sliced into circles and semi-circles (make sure to remove any white membrane)
- 1/4 red Spanish onion, finely sliced
- 5–6 basil leaves, thinly sliced (plus a few small ones for garnish)
For the dressing
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon sea slat
- Generous pinch of ground black pepper
- Wash and prepare the endive (witlof) leaves, and arrange on a large platter or in a salad bowl.
- Using a fine grater or a zester, grate about half of the orange peel into a small bowl (about 1/2 teaspoon of orange zest) and save for the dressing. Peel the orange and slice into thin circles and semi-circles. Arrange the oranges and the onion over the endive leaves and top with sliced basil.
- To make the dressing, add olive oil, lemon juice and honey to the bowl with the orange zest and whisk together. Pour the dressing over the salad and sprinkle evenly with sea salt and pepper. Serve right away. If making ahead of time, dress the salad just before service.