A healthy and delicious recipe for low-carb grilled onion Cheddar burger patties served with lettuce, tomatoes and a side of red cabbage coleslaw salad for a complete meal. This dish is nutrient-dense, low-carb and keto-friendly, and gluten-free.
For the hamburger patties:
- 500 g / 1 lb ground beef (not too fatty)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely diced or grated
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons of oil for cooking (olive, avocado, coconut)
- 2 onions, sliced into thin circles
- 2 tablespoons oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Balsamic vinegar
- 100 g / 3 oz Cheddar cheese, sliced
- 4 tablespoons sugar-free ketchup/tomato sauce
To serve: Lettuce leaves, sliced tomatoes, fried shallots (the Asian ones) or chopped spring onions, pickles if you have some, extra ketchup.
Red Cabbage Coleslaw:
- 4 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 small carrot, grated
- ¼ red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ red capsicum, thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sour cream or yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- A pinch of pepper
Combine burger mixture in a bowl and mix through to incorporate. Make 4 round, flattened burger patties and set them aside.
In a medium or large frying pan or a skillet, heat the oil over medium. Add the onions and salt cook for 5-6 minutes until softened and slightly caramelised. Finish with a drizzle of Balsamic and stir through.
Pan-fry or grill the burger patties over medium-high heat for 3 minutes on the first side. Flip over, spread a tablespoon of ketchup on each and top with a few slices of Cheddar cheese. Cover with a lid and cook for 3-4 more minutes. The cheese should melt while the patties are cooking. You can also pop the skillet under the grill in the oven if it’s heatproof.
You can leave the patties in the pan or a skillet or transfer them to a platter with lettuce leaves and sliced tomatoes. Or have lettuce leaves and sliced tomatoes tucked on the side of the pan. Top each burger patty with grilled onions. You can sprinkle fried shallots or some chopped spring onions or even a little extra grated Cheddar.
While the burger patties are cooking or ahead of time, slice and grate the vegetables for the coleslaw. Whisk the dressing and mix through the salad until well coated. Serve alongside the burgers.
- The nutrition label below is for burgers only. See Nutrition Note above for the coleslaw and burgers breakdown.
- You can use any melting cheese on top but I love Cheddar for extra flavour, the sharper the better.
- I highly recommend using grass-fed beef. It’s a little more expensive but is tastier and more nutritious.
- Serving Size: 1 patty with ketchup, cheese and onions
- Calories: 418
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 922.7 mg
- Fat: 27.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 8.6 g
- Fiber: 1.2 g
- Protein: 32.8 g
- Cholesterol: 103.5 mg
Keywords: Burgers, Beef Burgers, Grilled Onions, Cheddar, Cheeseburgers, Low-Carb, Keto, Coleslaw, Red Cabbage, Gluten-Free, Dinner