Learn how to make healthy and delicious lemon shortbread cookies that are gluten-free and grain-free, low-carb and sugar-free. Perfect with a cup of tea or coffee, minus the sugar!
1 cup almond flour
1/3 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup sugar-free sweetener (e.g. monk fruit or Natvia powder)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 large egg
12 tablespoons almond butter (slightly melted)
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/4 cup tablespoons lemon juice
1–2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F (175 °C) and line a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda and sugar-free sweetener.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg, almond butter (melt it slightly if needed), lemon zest and juice and vanilla extract.
- Stir in the flour mixture into the egg and nut butter until well combined.
- Roll the dough into 15-16 balls (approx 25 grams for each ball) and place them on the prepared baking sheet. Make sure to leave space between the balls. Press the cookies down lightly with the palm of your hand.
- Bake for 11-14 minutes until lightly golden (depends on your oven). Once done, they’ll be very soft while hot but will continue to cook as they sit on the cookie sheet.
- Let them cool completely on the baking sheet. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days or longer in the fridge.
You can use coconut sugar instead of sugar-free alternatives.
You can make the cookies vegan by replacing the egg with 1 tablespoon ground chia seeds or linseed mixed with 4 tablespoons of water (let it sit 5-10 minutes).
Keywords: Cookies, Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Low-Carb, Paleo, Lemon, Almond Meal, Coconut Flour