When I was a little girl, I would often come home from school to the smell of fruit crumble pie baking in the oven. My grandmother made the most delicious fruit pies: plums, blackberries, apples, peaches; she would use whatever was in season and the aromas would fill our home as well as our neighbours’.
This strawberry and apple crumble recipe is paleo friendly and contains no grains, refined sugars or dairy, but as many of the ingredients still contain natural sugars (dates, fruit, coconut), I would recommend saving it for special occasions or weekends. It’s still a treat!
Cooking notes: I used small individual ramekins but you can easily use one baking dish and serve it as a whole pie.
Check out this roundup for more paleo apple crisp and crumble recipes.Print
For the filling
- 15 strawberries, diced
- 3 1/2 large Pink Lady or Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into cubes
- 1 vanilla bean (seeds scooped out) or 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- Pinch of nutmeg powder
- 1 tablespoon ghee or coconut oil
For the crumble
- 1 cup macadamia nuts (or other preferred nuts)
- 4 dates, such as Medjool (pips out)
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 3 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Make the filling first.Heat ghee or coconut oil in a medium saucepan. Add all filling ingredients to the pot, stir and bring to a boil. Turn the heat to low and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until apples have softened and the mixture has thickened and caramelised slightly.
- Half way through cooking the apple and strawberries, pre-heat the oven on 160 / 320 F.
- Make the crumbleUsing a food processor, grind macadamia nuts and dates into small crumbs. Add coconut flour and coconut oil and process into moist crumbly mixture. Add shredded coconut and pulse together until well incorporated. Set aside.
- Assemble the crumble piesDivide the apple and strawberry filling between four small baking dishes and top with 1 ½ cm thick layer of the crumble mixture. Bake in the oven, middle shelf, for 15-18 minutes, or until the top brows and becomes crispy.