You can make these savoury pancakes with other vegetables. A mix of cauliflower and broccoli is nice, or some grated carrot and zucchini. Just make sure the vegetables don’t give out too much moisture (like tomatoes, cucumber or even the inside part of the zucchini) as you will need a lot of starch or flour to thicken the mixture. Serve them with a side of smoked salmon and radish, a little aioli or mayonnaise, homemade relish or a little tomato salad. This recipe make about 7 pancakes so just double the ingredients for a larger batch.
- 6–7 medium broccoli florets
- 2 tbsp chopped green onion
- 1 small garlic clove, diced roughly
- A small handful of fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Pinch of pepper
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp tapioca flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Coconut oil or ghee for cooking
- Place broccoli, green onion, garlic and pumpkin seeds in a food processor and grind into small crumbs. Add the egg and process again until incorporated. Add baking powder and tapioca flour and mix in the processor, scraping the sides. [url href=”https://irenamacri.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/broccoli_pancakes_3.jpg”][/url]
- Heat 1-2 teaspoons of coconut oil in a large frying pan until really hot and then bring the heat down to medium. Add a tablespoon of mixture and flatten slightly into a round pancake. Repeat until you’ve filled the frying pan. Cook for 3 minutes on each side, flipping carefully in between. Add a little extra coconut oil when cooking on the second side. Repeat the process with the rest of the mixture.