This creamy cauliflower soup is delicate and fluffy with crispy bacon adding texture and saltiness. It’s easy and takes under 30 minutes. The recipe is dairy-free, gluten-free, paleo and Whole30 friendly.
- 1 tablespoon ghee (or 2 tablespoons olive oil)
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 1 medium head of cauliflower, core out and chopped roughly
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2/3 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup diced bacon
- 1 egg (white only)
- A little coconut or macadamia oil to fry bacon in
- Fresh herbs of choice for garnish
- In a large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of ghee until medium hot. Sauté the onion for 3-4 minutes or until soft and translucent.
- Add the cauliflower, garlic and stock and bring to boil. Season with salt and pepper. Turn the heat down and cook covered for 8-10 minutes.
- In the meantime, pan fry the bacon pieces until crisp.
- At an 8 minute mark, break one whole egg into a smaller saucepan or a metallic mixing bowl that will fit over the larger cooking saucepan. I used a smaller saucepan that I could hold over the steam from the cooking cauliflower soup. While holding the smaller saucepan close to the steam but not touching the simmering liquid, continuously whisk the egg for about 3 minutes until it gets frothy and smooth. It will look almost like a thickened yellowish cream. Set aside.
- Transfer cauliflower soup contents into a blender or a food processor and puree until smooth. You can use a hand held puree blender as well. Then while the blender is still on, pour in the egg cream. Stop once everything is incorporated. Taste for salt.
- Serve with fresh herbs like chives, parsley or basil and crispy bacon sprinkled on top.