Learn how to make a hearty paleo beef chilli flavoured with chorizo and chipotle peppers. Slow cooker and stovetop methods and step-by-step photos included.
You might have tried a few recipes for chilli con carne before (also known simply as chilli or beef chilli) but I hope that my version will tickle you tastebuds’ fancy and you give it a go in the kitchen as it does come with a tasty twist.
I am going to show you how to make chilli con carne in a slow cooker but of course you can also make this recipe on a stove stop or in the oven (see my instructions below). This is a paleo friendly recipe, so I am not using any beans, but if you want to use some, make sure to pre-soak them for 12 hours in some salted water and cook them well prior to remove/break down some of antinutrients found in legumes (i.e. phytic acids and lectins). This will make them much easier to digest. Otherwise, just go without.
The special ingredients in this recipe are chorizo and dried chipotle chilli. Chorizo is heavily spiced with paprika and garlic and it adds incredible flavour and colour to this beef stew. Please get good quality chorizo from your local butcher or deli and check the ingredients. Alternatively, add some bacon and extra paprika spice.
Chipotle chilli adds both the spice and the smokiness to the chilli – a wonderful combination. You can get dried or canned chipotle peppers, either can be used in the recipe. Look for them in the Mexican section of your supermarket or order them online. They are fantastic to have on hand and you can make chipotle chicken, add them to pulled pork or to make smoky tomato salsa. Alternatively, use some smoked paprika powder or just regular paprika.
This paleo friendly chilli is made in a slow cooker but you can easily make it on a stove top or in the oven.
- 1 tablespoon olive or coconut oil
- 1 large brown onion, finely diced
- 2 medium chorizo sausages, skin off and diced roughly
- 600–700 grams / 1.5 lb grass-fed ground beef/mince
- 2–3 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 chipotle chilli peppers (dried or tinned), diced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 cup diced tinned tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon aged balsamic vinegar
- Garnish: greek or coconut yoghurt, fresh coriander, spring onion
Slow cooker method:Cook the onions in olive or coconut oil over medium-high heat for about 4 minutes. This can be done in a frying pan or directly in a slow cooker dish if it’s heat-proof. Then add the diced chorizo, stir and cook for a further 2 minutes, until slightly browned.
- Now add the beef and break it apart while stirring with the onion and chorizo. Cook for 3-4 minutes. Follow with the garlic and spices, and stir together for a minute to release the aromas.
- Finally, add the tomatoes and vinegar, bring to a simmer and transfer to a slow cooker (unless already in the slow cooker dish, then simply place the vessel back onto the heat element).
- Cook covered for 2-3 hours on HIGH, 4-5 hours on MEDIUM, 6-7 hours on LOW.
Stovetop method: Repeat the same steps as above but cook everything in a large pot or a deep frying pan with a lid. Once all ingredients are added and brought to a simmer, cover with a lid and cook for 30-45 minutes, stirring a few times.
Oven method: Repeat the same steps as above and once all ingredients are added and brought to a simmer, transfer the mix to an oven-proof casserole dish or a Dutch oven, cover with foil and cook in a 200C/395F oven for 30-45 minutes. Stir half way.
If you can tolerate dairy, serve this chilli with a little plain yoghurt or sour cream on the side. Otherwise, serve as is with a little fresh coriander on top. It goes well in tacos, over sweet potatoes, cauliflower rice; also, quinoa or white rice if you eat those.
Want more Mexican inspired paleo recipes?
Mexican Egg Scramble with Radish Salsa
Jalapeños & Coconut Bread with Chipotle Butter
Easy Chicken & Kale Tortilla Soup (sans tortillas)
Mexican Tuna Steak with Sweet Red Peppers & Avocado Salsa
Mexican Inspired Naked Burrito Bowl
Instant Pot Beef & Chorizo Chili