Simple and delicious dairy-free paleo chocolate ice cream recipe you can make at home. You will need an ice cream maker to finish this treat.
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 cups canned coconut milk
- 8 large egg yolks, from pasteurized eggs if you’d like
- 1 cup coconut sugar (other natural sweetener can also be used)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Combine the unsweetened cocoa powder with 1 cup of canned coconut milk in a medium sized saucepan. Do so over medium heat, whisking continuously.
- Add the remaining canned coconut milk after a few minutes. Bring the mixture to a simmer, stirring occasionally. After a few more minutes, remove the saucepan from the heat and set aside.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks together. Gradually add in the coconut sugar and whisk. Now, slowly add in the cream mixture from the saucepan into the eggs and coconut sugar. After about half of the mixture has been added, pour the remains back into the saucepan.
- Continue stirring the mixture over low heat. Continue doing so, stirring often, until it slightly thickens. I recommend checking the temperature for somewhere between 75-80 C/170-175 F.
- Turn off the stove top and transfer the chocolate mixture into a bowl or Tupperware container. Set aside for about 30 minutes, add in the vanilla extract, and then transfer it to the refrigerator.
- After a couple of hours, cover the container with an air tight lid and let the mixture sit overnight.
- Pour your hard work into an ice cream maker and process until the mixture turns to a thickness of your liking. This usually takes anywhere from 15-30 minutes.
- I recommend serving the ice cream right away as a “soft serve.” Otherwise, you can freeze it and let it harden more to your liking.
You can add chocolate chips, berries, nuts, coconut flakes, sea salt or some banana for variations.