Delicious and fluffy paleo banana pancakes with coconut and almond meal. These are gluten-free, grain-free and super easy to make. Serve with lemony butter or berry compote and a drizzle of maple syrup. Double the ingredients for more pancakes
- 1 large banana, diced (not too ripe)
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup almond meal (about 6–7 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons desiccated coconut, unsweetened
- 2–3 tablespoons cassava or tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla essence (optional)
- Optional: 1-2 tablespoons protein powder
- Ghee or coconut oil for cooking
For lemon butter
- 2 tablespoons butter or coconut butter, softened and mashed
- Zest of ½ lemon
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Handful of blueberries & maple syrup to serve
For berry compote
1 cup mixed frozen berries
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tsp coconut oil (or butter)
1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Place all pancake ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth and fluffy. If you don’t have a blender, you can mash banana with a fork and whisk the eggs in a bowl and then combine with the rest of ingredients.
- Heat up a dollop of ghee or coconut oil in a non-stick frying pan. Cook pancakes in batches, about one and a half tablespoons of mixture per pancake. Keep the heat on medium making sure the pancakes don’t burn too quickly and cook thoroughly. I usually cook mine for 1.5 minutes on the first side and for about 1 minute on the second side. You know it’s time to turn them over when little bubbles start appearing in the batter. The batter is quite fragile so use two spatulas to turn them over. Add a little more ghee or coconut oil in between pancakes. The second batch of pancakes will cook quicker as the pan will be hotter so keep an eye on them.
- Lemon butter: Grate butter stick into a ramekin and combine with grated lemon zest and lemon juice. Use a fork to mash the butter and incorporate lemon. Set aside.
- Berry compote: add frozen berries to a small saucepan together with lemon juice and coconut oil (or butter) and heat over medium heat. As the berries start to defrost, stir frequently. Once hot, add the maple syrup and stir. Set aside.
- Serve with lemon butter or berry compote OR with maple syrup and berries on top.
- Serving Size: 5 pancakes
- Calories: 449
- Sugar: 18.5 g
- Sodium: 114.8 mg
- Fat: 24.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 46.1 g
- Protein: 15.2 g
- Cholesterol: 279 mg