This comforting paleo peach crisp is grain-free and gluten-free. Any fruit can be used instead of peaches, and coconut ice cream, double cream or regular yoghurt can be served alongside.
- 4 medium peaches, sliced into thin wedges
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar or honey
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot flour/starch
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract/essence
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
For the crisp/crumble topping
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 3 tablespoons tapioca or cassava flour/starch
- 2 tablespoons desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup nuts of choice (I used hazelnuts and pecans)
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons ghee or coconut oil
- 1 cup coconut yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract/essence
- 5 basil leaves, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 175 C/ 370 F.
- Mix peaches with coconut sugar, arrowroot, vanilla, lemon zest and lemon juice. Transfer to a baking dish.
- Add the crumble ingredients, except for honey and ghee, to a food processor with an S-blade on. Process into crumbly texture, then add the wet the honey and ghee and process again quickly until mixed and slightly sticky.
- Place the baking dish with the peaches in the oven for 10 minutes. Then remove and spread the crumble mixture evenly over the top. Place the dish back in the oven for 20-25 minute, until the top is golden brown and crispy.
- Cool slightly before serving. Mix together yoghurt with fresh basil and vanilla and serve on the side.