This nutritious,fibre-rich red cabbage slaw is a rainbow salad made with creamy, dairy-free, egg-free avocado dressing. It’s paleo, low-carb and vegan-friendly dish that can be served as a side or on its own.
I make a red cabbage slaw on a weekly basis, and I especially love using this cabbage both for its pretty colour and its nutritional profile (very high in vitamins, antioxidants and fibre!). Most of the time I use a mayonnaise-based dressing for my slaw salads but today I am trying out a dairy-free and egg-free creamy avocado dressing.
You can find the recipe for my Creamy Avocado Dressing here. It’s super versatile and works really well in a slaw-type salad. Seriously, you would think it contains double cream or mayo because it’s so thick and creamy. The flavours of lemon and a touch of garlic really compliment the nuttiness of the avocado fruit. Coriander is an amazing herb to serve with this dressing, but you can also use basil or parsley.
TIPS FOR MAKING RED CABBAGE SLAW
This recipe is for a small batch of the slaw that you can enjoy as a simple salad meal, or you can add some grilled chicken, meat or seafood on top.
You can make a larger batch of the red cabbage slaw salad and store it undressed in a large Ziplock bag. You can use a variety of crunchy vegetables in this salad. I like to add a few different colours for a full rainbow effect.
Having a food processor is really handy if you’re making a lot of this salad as shredding the cabbage and all other vegetables require a little bit of time and effort. It’s all worth it, of course, especially as it will keep for a few days in the fridge (without the dressing). I store the dressing separately and mix it with the salad just before serving.
MORE TASTY SLAW SALADS FOR YOU
- Broccoli Slaw With Cranberries & Celery
- Carrot & Coriander Slaw Salad
- Beetroot & Black Olive Slaw
- Celeriac Slaw With Pine Nuts & Pancetta
- Cabbage Fennel & Apple Slaw
Check out my new eBook Salad A Day: 45+ Delicious Salads For Health & Vitality.Print
Learn how to make a simple yet delicious and nutritious red cabbage slaw with plenty of rainbow veggies and creamy avocado dressing. This recipe is dairy-free, vegan, raw, gluten-free, paleo and Whole30-friendly.
- 1/2 red cabbage, cut into quarters and finely shredded
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
- 1/2 yellow or red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 celery stick, thinly sliced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/3 cup Creamy Avocado Dressing (see link above in the post)
- A large handful of fresh coriander / cilantro leaves
- 2 lime wedges, for garnish
- Combine salad ingredients with most of the dressing in a large mixing bowl. Transfer to a serving bowl or divide between bowls and drizzle with a little more dressing and scatter the coriander leaves over the top. Serve with a couple of extra lime wedges.
Nutrient boosts: for extra zinc and vitamin E, add some pumpkin seeds; for extra selenium, add 2 chopped Brazil nuts; for extra calcium, add sesame seeds and baby spinach or shaved Parmesan cheese of feta; for extra protein, add any cooked protein of choice.