For beef patties
- ½ medium brown onion, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon ghee or coconut oil
- 500 g / 1.1 lb of beef mince
- 1 medium raw beetroot, peeled and finely grated
- 2 garlic cloves, grated or finely diced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped rosemary (about 2 sprigs)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2/3 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Ghee or coconut oil for frying
Fennel & cucumber salad
- 1 large fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1 medium cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar or Apple Cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon or wholegrain mustard
- Pinch of sea salt and black ground pepper
- 1 avocado sliced, on the side (optional)
- Over medium heat, sauté the onion in ghee or olive for 2-3 minutes, until translucent.
- Combine the cooked onion with the rest of the beef patties ingredients in a large mixing bowl and work through with your hands until well incorporated. Roll and mould into small patties.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of ghee or coconut oil in large frying pan until medium hot. Cook patties over medium heat, for 6 minutes on each side. Avoid high heat as the beetroot will caramelise and can easily burn. Set aside for a couple of minutes before serving.
- While the burgers are cooking prepare the side salad by combining all ingredients together.