You can serve this salad with freshly grilled sardines – that’s in an ideal world, or with simple, tinned sardines from the supermarket. I used roasted red peppers you can get in a jar in a store but you can roast your own in the oven, then peel and slice. I quite like the pickled flavour of the preserved red peppers though. This recipe is for one for lunch so multiply the amount when making this for a family or for a larger meal.
- 1 medium zucchini, washed and shaved into ribbons (discard the inner, seedy core)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp chopped green onion
- 1 medium roasted pepper, sliced (or as much as you like)
- 1–2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 100g tinned sardines
- Place shaved zucchini ribbons in a bowl. Drizzle with lemon juice, olive oil and and season with sea salt and toss with your hands to mix through. This will slightly pickles the zucchini. Then then toss through chopped onion, red peppers and pumpkin seeds. Serve sardines on top. Super simple!